[TriEmbed] Pololu motor drivers.

Carl Nobile carl.nobile at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 18:01:08 CST 2015

To go along with Jon's comments about Pololu motor boards price decrease, I
have just finished a Python API for controlling the Qik 2s9v1. It is on my
GitHub account at https://github.com/cnobile2012/pololu-motors/tree/master.

I also hope to have a pip installable version out on PyPi (
https://pypi.python.org/pypi) by the end of the weekend. BTW PyPi is the
Python repository for third party packages. Almost anything Python can be
installed either from the site or through the pip installation program.

If anybody needs help installing from GitHub ping me and I will help you
get it installed.

~Carl

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 6:50 PM, <jonjwolfe at anibit.com> wrote:

> Some of you may have noticed that Pololu's almost canonical stepper and dc
> motor driver break out boards have had a steep price drop sometime in the
> past 6 months. I think I've spoken to a few of you about it.
>
> As a hobbyist, I love it because their driver boards are great. The
> re-seller side of me was slightly frustrated at the depreciation of my
> inventory(I go out of my way to avoid carrying items at risk of going
> obsolete, expiring or depreciating ).
>
> Jan Malasek, the founder of Pololu has a blog post about their motor
> drivers and pricing decisions that confirms some of my suspicions behind
> the price trend:
>
> https://www.pololu.com/blog/410/big-price-reductions-and-
> new-options-for-our-popular-stepper-motor-drivers
>
> In short, there is a lot of pressure coming from cheap Chinese clones and
> outright counterfeits. Pololu manufactures a lot (maybe all?) of their own
> boards in-house in Nevada, and they don't have the negotiating advantage
> Chinese manufacturers have.
>
> I think what I will probably end up doing soon* is dropping all of my
> prices to match (or almost match) theirs, even though it means I will
> literally take a loss. It is better than sitting on the "underwater"
> inventory forever, and I can at least write off the loss.
>

> --Jon
>
> (* - "soon" = some unspecified time in the future, when I have had time to
> run numbers and do more research. )

Carl J. Nobile (Software Engineer)
carl.nobile at gmail.com