[TriEmbed] Pololu motor drivers.

jonjwolfe at anibit.com jonjwolfe at anibit.com
Fri Feb 20 17:50:13 CST 2015

Some of you may have noticed that Pololu's almost canonical stepper and
dc motor driver break out boards have had a steep price drop sometime in
the past 6 months. I think I've spoken to a few of you about it.

As a hobbyist, I love it because their driver boards are great. The
re-seller side of me was slightly frustrated at the depreciation of my
inventory(I go out of my way to avoid carrying items at risk of going
obsolete, expiring or depreciating ).

Jan Malasek, the founder of Pololu has a blog post about their motor
drivers and pricing decisions that confirms some of my suspicions behind
the price trend:

https://www.pololu.com/blog/410/big-price-reductions-and-new-options-for-our-popular-stepper-motor-drivers

In short, there is a lot of pressure coming from cheap Chinese clones
and outright counterfeits. Pololu manufactures a lot (maybe all?) of
their own boards in-house in Nevada, and they don't have the negotiating
advantage Chinese manufacturers have.

I think what I will probably end up doing soon* is dropping all of my
prices to match (or almost match) theirs, even though it means I will
literally take a loss. It is better than sitting on the "underwater"
inventory forever, and I can at least write off the loss.

--Jon

(* - "soon" = some unspecified time in the future, when I have had time
to run numbers and do more research. )