[TriEmbed] On Using the ESP8266 Serial/Wifi Module

dan dan at maniacallabs.com
Mon Feb 16 11:49:34 CST 2015

Hi All,

I recently took a crack at getting something to work with the ESP8266 wifi
module. This is the one that's been receiving a lot of press recently for
being a very cheap way (>$10) of adding wifi connectivity to a
micro-controller project. I was able to stumble through a few different
articles and pages and I was able to interface with the module, update its
firmware, and incorporate it into a wireless temperature monitor that
reports to data.sparkfun.com.

http://maniacallabs.com/2015/02/16/esp8266-the-new-hotness/

I put together this write-up to (hopefully) point out a few key 'gotchas'
that might make using the ESP8266 difficult for those new to it (e.g.
myself), and I figured this community would appreciate the sharing of
knowledge. I'm still figuring out how I might use this in other projects,
but having cheap wifi connectivity available is a nice thing. If there are
any questions, please let me know.

Thanks!

-Dan