[TriEmbed] How to Damage an LDO

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Dec 10 15:02:40 CST 2015

The question was about a 7805, which is a very, very old design. The
datasheet I pointed to was published in 1976 and I cited it as a
reaction to Carl's post.

But I just ran a modern 7805 backwards and at seven volts (notice that
for *this chip* TI said the hazard is for voltages "greater than
approximately seven volts")  it draws very little current. At 30 volts
it draws a fraction of an amp but a quick test showed it still worked
when connected normally before I tossed it into the trash can. So even
if the design hasn't been updated this thing is not fragile. And no
amount of capacitive load is going to cause more than five volts to go
through the output to ground if the source current is turned off.

I didn't actually care about Brian's question. I wanted to make sure
folks realized the implication of Carl's suggestion.

But I used the thread as an excuse for the sermon about reverse biasing
with MCU GPIO pins, which is a very serious issue and the mechanism that
some folks are inadvertently using to get "dead pins" or completely dead
chips. But that had nothing to do with Brian's question and looking back
I see that the example of "VCC+.3v" in the context of an MCU pin was a
really awful confusion factor to throw in. It was a terrible mistake to
mention this sooner than later in my posting.

-Pete
PS If anybody is interested in a step by step explanation of the MCU
hazard I piggy-backed here's a good starting point
<https://wisense.wordpress.com/2014/11/28/interfacing-safely-with-the-msp430/>
(written about a TI MCU family, but *depending on the data sheet*
applicable to many other MCUs having very vaguely defined diode current
limits. The takeaway is to avoid accidentally powering your application
via current through a GPIO pin!) And yes, this hazard applies to other
kinds of chips, not just MCUs.