[TriEmbed] How to Damage an LDO

Martin Brooke martin.brooke at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 12:34:51 CST 2015

I have been powering a number of Arduino boards and clones from the VCC pin
with 5V just fine for years.  The only exception so far is the Arduino YUN
which we power through VIN (not VCC) with 5V.

We do this to use more efficient power supplies than the linear regulators
on many boards.

You should always check the schematic of boards before doing this.  But
seems as though powering the output of most regulators long term is fine.

Considering regulators have to deal with large capacitive loads charged to
VCC this is what I would expect.

Cheers,

Martin