[TriEmbed] Microsoft wants to play Re: Hack to unlock your car

Carl Nobile carl.nobile at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 11:54:51 CDT 2015

What I am most concerned about with any Windows install on a DIY platform
is that most of Microsoft's APIs are proprietary, so you will still need to
access closed code when using there IoT core. Is somebody going to build a
.NET API on that big ugly mess of a web platform? I doubt it, at least
nobody that know what they are doing anyway.

The new command-line interface on Windows is impressive compared to the old
one, but it's still 10 to 15 years behind bash on *nix/Linux systems.
Windows big following was because of their user friendly UI, they have
always had poorly designed core code. The windows OS itself is a virus
magnet because of the way it's been designed (i.e. They link the kernel and
UI too closely). So now we will be fighting viruses on the RPI I suppose.

I have been offered jobs that I have flatly turned down when they told me I
would need to work on Windows.

Carl

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 12:39 PM, John Vaughters via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> Windows? Late to the party and brings rancid beer.
>
> Both Intel and Windows have a me too complex that is very un-becoming.
>
> However, competition is always good. It will be interesting to see how a
> me too complex works out for them.
>
> Two things that have kept me far away from windows as a workstation for
> productivity, is native SSH and Virtual Desktop. It seems Windows finally
> caved and now have both. It's like telling the village idiot to move or he
> will get run over by a truck and he doesn't beleive you until he wakes up
> in the hospital after getting hit by a truck and then decides not to sit in
> that spot any more.
>
> At this point anyone that has spent the time learning *nix knows what a
> superior platform it is and will be hard pressed to go back. Not a chance
> in hell for me, I can tell you that.
>
> John Vaughters
>

> On Tuesday, August 11, 2015 4:00 PM, Grawburg via TriEmbed <
> triembed at triembed.org> wrote:
>

> Use Winblows  on my Raspberry Pi?  NOT ON YOUR TINTYPE!!!
>

> Brian

Carl J. Nobile (Software Engineer)
carl.nobile at gmail.com