[TriEmbed] Learning Curve

Burr Sutter burrsutter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 07:05:14 CDT 2015

The world of embedded microcontrollers has seen some dramatic growth (from
my perspective) and it is tough to figure out where to invest my learning
time & energy.

I have followed this path so far:
1) Arduino
2) Raspberry Pi
3) Spark Core
4) Intel Edison (just using it as a Linux box so far)
5) TI SensorTag
and played a bit with the NXP LPC1768 running mbed (http://mbed.org/)

Mostly I have been simply playing with the various "developer kits" where
my mission is on detection and connection - trying to understand what can
be sensed and how to get the data back to the cloud.

How do you all feel about mbed? Is that worthy of expending dozens/hundreds
of hours of learning time? And if so, which of the various ARM/mbed-based
hardware vendors are interesting to you?