[TriEmbed] oscilloscopes

Jon Wolfe jonjwolfe at anibit.com
Tue Apr 14 08:55:19 CDT 2015

I don't have a Nano, only the Quad and the Touch, but these are the
specs from their site:

DSO Nano: 1 Ms/s
DSO Touch: 10 Ms/s
DSO Quad: 72 Ms/s

I do know that the Quad has a dedicated ADC chip and FPGA to help
process the data stream, so that's why it's so much faster. I think the
Nano uses the built-in ADC on the main CPU.  I'm not sure what's inside
the Touch.

On the Touch and the Quad, I can select AC or DC coupling mode for each
channel. I think maybe that was something they left off the
Nano(inadvertently, or cost-cutting?)

The alternative firmwares for the Quad are what I think turns it from
"meh" to "pretty neat". Too many little cool features to list, but there
are "apps" and you can do things like sample and replay signals just
like a fancier scope, do I2C protocol decoding, etc.

The main thing I didn't like about the DSO Quad was the awful input
buttons and rockers. They take some getting used to. The Touch is tons
better in that regard, but it seems hardware-wise it's power lies
somewhere between the Nano and Quad. Then again, so does its price.

I tend to use a logic analyser more than an analog scope, and for that
the Saleae Logic is pretty awesome. The newer models do analog as well,
but are more expensive. You can download their software for free and
play with it in "simulation mode", if you want to kick the tires.

I love the Bus Pirate (It's the original reason I became a DP/Seeed
reseller), but I use it more for "active" interaction on a bus, eg when
I want to "talk" to a I2C/SPI/UART bus from my PC. For sampling raw
signals, it's bandwidth is extremely slow.

--
Jon Wolfe
Anibit Technology LLC.

https://anibit.com