[TriEmbed] Low Voltage Stepper with A488 controller

Rick nm3g at triad.rr.com
Sat Apr 4 08:06:03 CDT 2015

Good morning all,

I think you will find the motor heating is due to the lack of "holding
current" ... that is, it takes much less current to hold a stepper motor
in position than it does to move it. Some of the stepper motor drivers
lack holding current, or it is just not implemented. Usually, you need
only about 10% of the moving current to hold the stepper in position.

Because you are still applying moving current, but not actually moving
the motor, you are generating heat. One application we had at work used
an inexpensive "hobby" stepper driver and I burned myself by laying my
wrist on the stepper motor that had been in operation for about 20 minutes.

If your driver doesn't provide holding current mode, you can reduce the
voltage to ensure the current drops to about 10% of full current when
you are not moving. This is easily accomplished by having two different
power supplies fed through diodes (common anode) to the motor driver
chip(s), and shut down the higher voltage one after your move is
complete (Mosfet switch run from a processor output line perhaps?).

Regards,

Rick