[TriEmbed] Low Voltage Stepper with A488 controller

Grawburg grawburg at myglnc.com
Fri Apr 3 11:41:01 CDT 2015

I understand that the key issue with a stepper motor and the A488 controller is the current and not necessarily the voltage. I have a 9V power source that I use with the controller and a motor that seems to be rated for voltage in that realm since it does not get very hot (just warm) when I "play" with it. And it does not get hot (just warm) in idle position.

However, I have another motor (from a printer) that gets more than warm sitting in idle.  Not TOO hot to touch, though.  That makes me wonder if I'm putting 9V into a motor that is designed for 6. (I cannot see any writing on the motor-some parts are behind frame from the assembly.) My concern is that I might eventually damage the motor.  Shouldn't I do something to reduce the voltage to the motor and see at what voltage it still works (it's not going to used for anything other than instruction)?  I already have a step-down board I made that reduces 9V to 5 (I think).

Brian Grawburg