[TriEmbed] Wireless Camera for 3D Printer

Michael Fulbright mike.fulbright at pobox.com
Fri Apr 3 10:39:56 CDT 2015

I use a Logitech C510 webcam on my ubuntu laptop controlling a 3d
printer.  I run 'motion' and have it setup a streaming port that you can
view with any modern browser and no extra software.  Just be sure to
disable all the motion detection - the streaming will still work.
Otherwise it will go nuts filling your disk taking video and snapshots
of your printer moving around.  On my ancient laptop streaming 1280x1024
@ 50% quality and 2 fps it uses only about 30% CPU.   You can watch the
stream on a tablet or smartphone also which gives nice flexibility.

For the Pi as Dan mentioned you will probably want to use the MotionEye
frontend for motion to utilize the very nice Raspberry Pi camera.  I
would still consider a simple webcam for your application just because
it allows you more freedom for optimal placement since a webcam will
have at least a 6 ft cord instead of the 6 inch flex cable you have with
the Pi camera.

Michael Fulbright