[TriEmbed] Now looking at the guts Re: T-962 reflow oven notes

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Sep 25 13:03:21 CDT 2014

Thanks for the input. I wonder if these little ovens would be able to
heat and cool the PCBs fast enough to avoid killing some of the
components if there was 1/4" aluminum involved. I agree with you 100%
this would probably eliminate the sensing error.

But I found the "roasted masking tape". The pictures in the popular
"Instructables" blurb about replacing the masking tape don't really show
the problem area. UNDER the front lip of the insulation layer is a place
where masking tape has been put across a junction that would let hot air
get in and overheat the control electronics. This is a couple inches
toward the inside of the oven with virtually nothing between it and the
heating chamber. One thin layer of one strip of this tape is burned in
my oven and has the "now it's welded on" characteristic of old tape. A
few minutes with a knife has gotten this off and I will be doing the
kapton tape treatment. So I guess early on this tape burning was blended
in with the solder paste heating when I ran the oven. But the tape is
fully baked now. Presumably this area may be much larger with the
T-962A, and it's probably up to the hand-assembly as far as how much
tape gets burned.

hat appears too difficult and risky to attempt at the moment is trying
to arrange for the existing thermocouples to come down to the PCB
surface. If I could figure out what type they are and find affordable
replacements I could perhaps just switch them in and out of the circuit
in place of the ones in fixed positions. The Digikey probes on high temp
leads are very expensive.

I will point to some pictures soon.

-Pete