[TriEmbed] SSR sources: was Re: T-962 reflow oven notes

Michael Fulbright mike.fulbright at pobox.com
Wed Sep 24 18:48:22 CDT 2014

I'm going to hijack this thread slightly as I was about to ask this
question and it is related to reflow ovens...

I'm starting to build a reflow solution and I've been researching solid
state relays.  There are some nice "brand name" relays on Digikey
(Panasonic, Omron, etc), but then there are a bunch of low-end
alternatives that are 1/3 the cost.  If you read reviews and look at
other reflow projects on the web they seem to do OK - but since we're
controlling main voltage I'm more than happy to spend more money for
some insurance against a disaster.

Could anyone comment on their personal experience with SSR devices?  I'm
looking at 25A and 40A.

For now I figured I'd mess around with a homegrown PID solution just so
I could learn more about it.

Thanks,
Michael Fulbright