[TriEmbed] T-962 reflow oven notes

Rick nm3g at triad.rr.com
Wed Sep 24 17:24:36 CDT 2014

Good evening all,

Pete ... I'd suggest a nice 1/4" aluminum plate upon which you place
your PCBs. Your thermocouples can either be taped to your board (kapton
is great for this), or permanently fastened to the aluminum. You need
some nice thermal mass to reduce your setpoint oscillation.

Does your PID controller have a training mode? If so, install the
aluminum with the thermocouples, train it, and then run a profile with
an external thermocouple not tied to the system watching as well.

You probably want a HEPA filter on the exhaust port ... though I'd
provide some cooling in the form of an aluminum vent pipe before the
filter ... no need to get the filter hot. You can buy a large HEPA
filter and cut it down to make multiple small ones if you wish (the
local home improvement stores carry a few HEPA filters ... beats
ordering and waiting for the boat from overseas). You probably don't
want to spend the money on an automotive "cabin" filter ... very
expensive for what it provides.

Cooling the exhaust also helps condense the volatiles and helps reduce
the filter loading ('cause you can shake the filter off rather than
replace it every x hours).

Hope this helps,

Rick