[TriEmbed] (another trimmed reply) Re: TriEmbed Digest, Vol 16, Issue 18 - Power regulator questions

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Fri Sep 19 10:02:52 CDT 2014

Re: [TriEmbed] TriEmbed Digest, Vol 16, Issue 18 - Power regulator
questions
From:
Shane Trent <shanedtrent at gmail.com>
Date:
09/19/2014 10:10 AM

To:
Charles McClelland <chip at mcclellands.org>
CC:
Glen Smith <mrglenasmith at gmail.com>, TriEmbed Discussion
<triembed at triembed.org>

Cool work Chip. I look forward to reading more about the project.

I wanted to pass along a trick that allows you to measure your battery
voltage in a standard Arduino setup without requiring a voltage divider.
In short, they use Vcc as the ADC reference (as usual) but measure the
1.1V internal reference to calibrate the ADC and then convert ADC counts
to millivolts. Just using the 1.1V reference on the ADC would require a
voltage divider to drop Vcc to less than the 1.1V ADC max limited by the
1.1V reference. I am using it with a Li-poly battery powered project and
seemed pretty accurate. There is extra code to get the correct registers
for several chips but it is pretty straight forward.

http://provideyourown.com/2012/secret-arduino-voltmeter-measure-battery-voltage/

Shane