[TriEmbed] web site security

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Oct 2 11:44:17 CDT 2014

(I'll try to limit this kind of msg to once every 13th blue moon)

Here's a status update about the TriEmbed web site security.

Just now we had our first attempt by somebody trying to get into the
TriEmbed blog site via the "login" link and one of the security plugins
locked them out. The user named "greexyvek" is someplace in Europe.

But this could happen to any of you who do have an account: the plugin
is as picky as your local bank and disables your login if you fat-finger
the password three times in a row. But if this happens the same kind of
immediate notification will happen and  I would of course ordinarily
just reset the thing.

Meanwhile, the blog site has gotten several thousand attempted spam
comments since the site was created in June. All but a couple were
automagically parked by a different security plugin (the remaining few
generate a request to OK the comment and I do that as fast as I can).
There is a tiny chance a legitimate comment was shunted. If that
happened I'd of course want to hear from you to fix it: no way, no how
would I consciously censor a comment by a legitimate TriEmbed person.

Coincidentally when I looked at the spam comments again just now I
noticed that near the top of the pile is one from "greexyvek" about a
sonic skin cleanser...

-Pete

*
*