[TriEmbed] QFN/LGA soldering hazards

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Fri May 30 20:24:05 CDT 2014

At last month's meeting I passed around an Adafruit QFN32 breakout board
with an Atmega328 soldered on it. I did this by hand with hot air and it
was "just like in the movies", with the solder holding the chip in
perfect alignment and the chip bouncing back into place when nudged to
one side before letting the solder cool. Perfect the first time, and
hugely easier than I expected. The rest of this is a comparison of the
Adafruit breakout board and two that I had made by OSH Park.

Here's why I expected it to be harder. I'd tried many times to solder a
QFN-16 accelerometer/magnetometer chip onto a board with a reflow oven,
hot air, dogs barking at the moon, etc. Out of several attempts I've got
two functional boards and several objects too small to be effective
paperweights or door stops. Actually, I will pull those chips back off
and try to reuse them.

And here's a photo of a board after I removed the chip following a
failed soldering attempt. The picture is edge-on showing the corner of
the chip pads and an outline of where the package sits:

http://triembed.org/images/badqfn16+chipoutline+text.jpg

The OSH Park soldermask is so thick there are "ledges" of it holding the
chip off the pads.

But that's nothing. Later I made some boards for a different
magnetometer that uses a "leadless chip carrier" package. This is
similar to a QFN but with this chip the pads on the underside of the
package are very narrow. After several attempts I only managed to get
one or two sides of the board soldered and the other sides sat above the
PCB pads by a tiny distance.

This picture of the board should make it obvious why the package pads
had trouble "kissing" the PCB:

http://triembed.org/images/badbadbad.jpg

As you can see, not only are there ledges on the corners, the PCB pads
are in "holes" of soldermask because the pads are so narrow there's room
for mask in between. Weirdest of all, but probably hard to see clearly,
is that the solder mask in the corners is hugely thicker than the mask
around the pads. It's as if there are two layers of mask. That's because
there is a ground plane around the perimeter: the "taller" mask layer is
sitting on copper. Had I not added that "pour" and just used a single
ground plane on the bottom layer I might have had an easier time.

And here is the Adafruit board. Notice how the pads are sitting well
above the surrounding board all the way around:

http://triembed.org/images/goodgoodgood.jpg

The two solutions to my QFN misery are:
   0) Don't use a library footprint that allows solder mask within the
package outline area of a QFN (or LCC or land grid array) package! Add a
tstop rectangle large enough to keep the chip from sitting on solder
mask, period.
   1) No copper pours into the corners of the chip footprint. A tkeepout
rectangle will prevent encroachment.

A few other precautions are called for. The router may put vias and/or
traces very close to the pad area, tempting the solder bridge monster.
Also watch out for misaligned wires that encroach on the space between
two pads. That is, a wire may go to a pad and sit diagonally or offset a
bit, so the edge of the wire is narrowing the gap between two pads. You
can suppress routing of vias and traces under the chip with trestrict
and brestrict rectangles (important for magnetometers!)