[TriEmbed] yahoo.com "not same domain" security policy sabotaged delivery of list email to yahoo.com addresses

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Tue May 13 20:36:02 CDT 2014

List subscribers that use yahoo.com (or, for example, hotmail.com that
forwards to yahoo.com) for their email should probably read this and the
rest of you are encouraged to skip it as noise.

Late this afternoon John Vaughters posted a reply (with Yahoo mail) to
Martin Brooke's remark about "luck". (You Yahooers will have to consult
the email archive msgs with subject "Another College Drop out
Billionaire Made from his garage".) It appears that when the email list
server tried to send this msg to other list subscribers using yahoo.com
it triggered the new, overly clever security policy that Yahoo put in
place to fight spam. Unfortunately, in addition to fighting spam, it
hoses the operation of email lists.

As the list admin, here's part of what I got corresponding to the
failure to deliver for your particular case, Jon:

(blah blah)

   carver_dude (at) hotmail.com
     SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
     host mx4.hotmail.com [65.55.33.119]: 550 5.7.0 (COL0-MC5-F31) Unfortunately, messages from (50.28.8.76) on behalf of (yahoo.com) could not be delivered due to domain owner policy restrictions.
   jonjwolfe  (at) yahoo.com
     SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
     host mta7.am0.Yahoodns.net [66.196.118.37]: 554 5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons.  Seehttp://postmaster.yahoo.com/errors/postmaster-28.html

(much more blah blah)

/All direct and indirect yahoo.com users: this episode caused the list
server to try over and over again to deliver John's msg until the
"bounce" limit was exceeded, at which point your subscription delivery
was disabled (i.e. "nomail" got set with a [A] notation [A for
administrator/list robot]). *BUT* I just went into the admin interface
and undid that. So all should be well and you should all get future list
mail OK until this happens again. Note that when you get this "weird
bounce msg" you can simply visit your subscription page and uncheck the
"nomail" box to fix this for yourself. The link to the email info page
that goes to your subscription details is at the bottom of every list
msg, but you'll need the login info provided by the monthly reminder msg./

This is the first time this has happened, so as you can see "most" of
the time postings from Yahoo users are going through fine. Hopefully
we'll figure out the pattern.

-Pete