[TriEmbed] DIY Metal solder paste stencil for SMD

Jon Wolfe jonjwolfe at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 20:52:33 CDT 2014

Very neat! And scary! Any ChemE know of an alternative to HCl? Supposedly, for etching copper, you can use vinegar (and a lot of extra patience), and it's about the safest way to etch, and probably makes watching paint dry look fun. It would seem to me that aluminum might be a little pickier than copper though.

Not being experienced with solder masking, what's the advantage of this over a plastic mask? Just durability?

Also, you can find aluminum flashing at Lowes in the roofing/gutter section that has a similar consistency to soda cans. I don't know how well it would work for a mask, but I know first hand that it works well with toner-transfers, I used it to make the capacitive touch buttons on this:

http://bytecruft.blogspot.com/2011/03/good-times-part-1.html

It's been so long that I don't remember the prep work that I had to do, but it wasn't much. I think there is a slight coating, but I think it''s less than a typical soda can.

Also, the aluminum flashing mills pretty well on my CNC, I just never tried to do something so small and precise as what you would need for a mask. I also don't know what long term effect that has on the expensive end mills, so I've kept it limited. I'm sure it dulls them faster than the MDF or PVC I usually use. But that could potentially be much safer and faster than the toner transfer.