[TriEmbed] Giving this Surface Mount Thing a Try - Transistor Help Needed

Charles McClelland chip at mcclellands.org
Fri Mar 21 11:07:58 CDT 2014

To all,

OK, so I knew I needed to give surface mount board design a try eventually, so, I am redesigning my trail traffic counter board using surface mount components.  My hope this that by buying the components instead of the breakout boards from Sparkfun, I can save money and make the board more reliable.

Everything is was going smoothly until I got to the part where I needed to invert the interrupt out of the accelerometer.  Thanks to this group’s input, I had implemented the inverter circuit on my through hold board using the 2N2222 NPN transistor and the following circuit:

The problem (opportunity?) is that there is no surface mount 2N2222 transistor.  I looked on line and found this cool chip from Sparkfun: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/588

The cool part is that it is small, cheap and looks like it includes the resistors.  The bad part is that there is no application notes with the data sheet and the resistor network is different than the circuit above.  I took a guess but wanted to know if any of you could tell me if I got this right.  Is this an equivalent circuit to the 2N2222 circuit above?

Or, perhaps there is a better way to invert a signal in this cool new world of surface mount components?

Thank you all again for your help!