[TriEmbed] Nixie Tubes

Sean Ulrich smulrich at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 12:45:53 CDT 2014

I messed around with nixies a few years back.  But this what I remember off
the top of my head.  From what I recall, I needed two things:

1) A DC-DC converter to boost your power supply (5V I assume?) up to the
level of your tubes (probably 160 or more depending on the tubes you are
using).  I used a DIY kit that gives you the board and components and you
solder them on.  I forget from where.  Maybe something like this:
http://www.allspectrum.com/store/nixie-power-supply-high-voltage-switch-mode-dc-dc-converter-kit-95-190vdc-25ma-180vdc-p-521.html

2) Driver IC that can handle the voltages you are dealing with.  The most
popular is the 74141 or the russian clone (which is easier to come by).  I
used the Russian clone and it worked fine.  Here's some info.  I'm not sure
where I bought mine from.  I think I got the tubes and driver IC from the
same place.  There's a handful of Nixie websites out there you should be
able to find with a quick google.
http://www.neonixie.com/ic/

Good luck!

Sean