[TriEmbed] Lost contact with remote sump pump detector

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 08:57:19 CDT 2014

David,

I know that the connection path has not been completely resolved. Meaning are we dealing with DNS/IP issues, but as I just recommended in another thread. Consider taking the ethernet Arduino combination out of the picture for maximum reliability. A cheap embedded computer or even an old laptop with linux connected to a UART on something like R-Pi bieng the most reliable, but even to an old computer via USB works too. Buy a cheap UPS and run the computer, DSL modem, router/switches and the ardiuno on the UPS. If you research and buy the right UPS, you will even be able to control what happens in a power outage. APS is the most supported UPS on the market. I use APS. If you really want control of the situation, consider getting a router based on linux as well. They have the service to manage DDNS connections. Even better you can set up a VPN to router.

I have this set up at my house and it is very reliable. I can get messages that the power is out at my house. If it stays out the computers shut down gracefully. It may sound like alot, but in your case it seems it is tied to something pretty important, so it may justify the time and cost. Just to give you an idea, I run for many months at a time with my arduino servers connected to USB and UART on embedded linux and it is very reliable. I have had this set up for several years with very little maintenance.

Good Luck Please keep us posted to what you find.

John Vaughters