[TriEmbed] (POE) Ethernet microcontroller

Jeff Highsmith jeff at jeffhighsmith.com
Tue Mar 11 13:11:50 CDT 2014

Glen,

The Freetronics Ethermega (with POE) is pricey ($119) but the added memory might solve the issue with the resource heavy Ethernet library. http://www.freetronics.com/collections/arduino/products/ethermega-arduino-mega-2560-compatible-with-onboard-ethernet

I just a got a couple Spark Cores myself. I haven't had a chance to much beyond connect them to their cloud-based IDE (you can compile non-cloud tools for them if you want) and discover that while they are "Arduino-compatible," not all of the libraries have been ported over. I tried using the "PulseIn" function to read a Parallax PING sensor, and found it wasn't available. The Spark Cores have an Arm chip in them. The memory specs on the Arm chip aren't fantastic, but there is an external memory chip for the wifi libraries.

Are you using existing wiring, or running new wiring? I'm wondering about the possibility of using RS-485. Even if you had to write your own library, it wouldn't be as heavy as Ethernet.

If you settle for not having built-in POE, you might be able to consider the Raspberry Pi. Yes, it seems like overkill for just reading a switch or blinking an LED, but the price is hard to beat, and coding in Python is easy-peasy. You might look into setting up the filesystem as read-only if reliability is a concern.

Jeff :)