[TriEmbed] MOSFETs or Relays

Rick nm3g at triad.rr.com
Thu Jun 26 18:57:02 CDT 2014

Good catch Rodney,

Brian, unless you tie the solenoid ground (negative supply terminal) and
the I/O port expander ground (again, negative supply terminal) together,
you will have no reliable gate-source current path. As such, you won't
be controlling the Mosfet.

If you absolutely need isolation between the two, you will need to
provide  an optoisolator driven from the I/O port expander, PLUS a 5
volt isolated power supply to turn the Mosfet gate on.

If you measure the voltage between the gate and source of the Mosfet,
you'll see a voltage, which will explain why the Mosfet is turning on.

Is there any reason you don't want to connect the two negative supply
terminals together?

Regards,

Rick