[TriEmbed] OSH Park board problem, shared project search page & vendor solution

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Feb 27 21:59:47 CST 2014

Folks,
    I recently had a chip programming problem and when I debugged it the
issue was surprising: a defective OSH Park PCB. Here are the details of
the problem and the rapid response by the vendor.
    I needed more ICSP breakouts for solderless protoboards and went
looking for a cheap solution. By using the TriEmbed OSH Park shared
project search page <http://triembed.org/searchoshpark.html> (a link in
the TriEmbed resources <http://triembed.org/#resources>) I looked for
"avr" and found shared project "AVR ISP adaptor"
<http://oshpark.com/shared_projects/JCbaKwcL> submitted by nsayer. I
ordered three of these to use with 2x3 male headers and they arrived 14
days later.
   I was having problems programming chips so when I switched to a
breadboard using one of nsayer's adaptors it took a little extra time to
figure out why I couldn't get joy. I'll never forget staring at a board
that should look like the image at
http://triembed.org/images/avr-icsp-ok.jpg but instead I found my self
searching for a missing trace. A portion of the MOSI signal connectoin
was simply missing as shown by
http://triembed.org/images/avr-icsp-over-etched.jpg
<http://triembed.org/images/avr-icsp-ok.jpg>
    OSH Park has a support system with a ticket submission system and a
few hours after sending the details an automatic order for three more
boards was initiated , so I'll get three good boards at no charge. They
thanked me for the well-doc'd bug report and that was that.