[TriEmbed] taking contract prototype manufacturing to the limit

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Wed Feb 19 15:21:22 CST 2014

On 02/19/2014 01:34 PM, Charles West wrote:
> Thats pretty darn cool.  Do you know how much the proposed pricing is?
In the example at blog.circuithub.com there is a link called "here
<https://circuithub.com/projects/andrew/USBIR>" and if you click that
you can see what the cost is for the example shown. If you want one it
costs $456.85. At quantity 100 they're $23.91. If you click on "quote
breakdown" you see that comes out to $3.10 for the board, $8.46 for the
parts, and $11.95 for assembly with a one time charge for extra parts to
deal with wastage. The setup charge is around $400.

If you're thinking "how could this be mentioned in the same breath as
OSH Park?" well, uh, I'm thinking the same thing and regret that
association. It would of course be insane to submit a design to this
place that wasn't worked out in every detail (you'd have built *exactly*
the same board in small quantities and tested the heck out of it.)

-Pete