[TriEmbed] Answers to TriEmbed meeting questions.

Glen Smith mrglenasmith at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 22:05:02 CST 2014

Asked at this evenings meeting was a question about alternatives to
OSHpark. While I have not done any primary research, I recalled seeing some
information on LadyAda's website. A Google search brings up the following
web site:http://www.ladyada.net/library/pcb/manufacturers.html As I said
during the meeting, it is a bit out of date, the date on the top of the
writeup is May 17, 2011, and BatchPCB is listed with no mention of it
sunseting.

OSHPark is listed as "good for testing/experimenting with a design" with
"excellent quality" boards. A quick read indicates that LadyAda's preferred
vendor is Advanced Circuits at http://www.4pcb.com/

I have no personal experience with any of these vendors, other than
ordering a few kits from AdaFruit, which presumably means I have PCB's she
ordered from one of them.

I will also post a link to Felix Rasu's http://lowpoerlab.com He actually
has a slightly more recent review of PCB vendors at
http://lowpowerlab.com/blog/2012/12/28/oshpark-pcb-service-review/#more-181

Felix has designed an Arduino clone that includes a HopeRF RFM12b or RFM69
radio soldered to the back side. Programming is done via a built in USB
port or FTDI depending on which version you choose. When programming, you
simply select Arduino Uno as your target board, get the right serial port
and send your sketch. He has rewritten the bootloader to enable wireless
reprogramming as well, so if you decide to change your sketch, you can do
it without "un-embedding" the Moteino from your project.

He supports the Moteino with a forum on his website and has a number of
interesting projects in process. Also posted on his blog is some good
information regarding small scale assembly of PCB's, as he hand pick/places
components and reflow solders them in a Sunbeam toaster oven.
http://lowpowerlab.com/blog/category/diy/

I have ordered from Felix, our one transaction had no problems and he gave
me no hassle when I changed my order shortly after placing it.

Glen