[TriEmbed] Question concerning a mechanical release

Rodney Radford ncgadgetry at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 10:44:36 CDT 2013

I will also have to chime in to agree with John about the the comments on
opto isolators.  Digital opto-isolators are available in speeds in the 10+
Mbd (megabaud), and analog opto-isolators can be used to transfer isolated
analog voltages.  They have voltage isolation in the 10kv+ range.

I have never heard of a mis-trigger on an opto-isolator, nor noisy PWM (as
long as you choose an opto-isolator whose speed exceeds the speed of the
PWM).

While there are other options available, opto-isolators continue to be used
widely in old and new designs and are very cheap.  If you have had bad
experiences with an opto-isolator, it may have been the design, or a bad
part - not indicative of the part as a whole.