[TriEmbed] Question concerning a mechanical release

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 23:42:07 CDT 2013

I'm going to disagree with sing opto-isolators.  They are slow (non-squarewave
forming, but very rounded waves) and very noisy (interference with PWM signals,
and mis-triggers for other I/O).

I really like the solution provided in the pair of articles in Circuit Cellar
magazine, August & September.  Basically he uses a separate higher voltage,
higher current power supply suitable for driving motors, solenoids and any other
loads you might want.  Then use a 5V regulator which connected to the R-Pi GPIO
pins 2 & 4 through a 0.74A fuse to supply power to the R-Pi -- avoiding the
proven delicate miniUSB-B power connector.

Noting that the Gertboard uses level shifters, and you have to know which
direction the signal is going.  Instead the author uses a $1 dual-channel Si8421
isolator to buffer each pair of I/O lines.  Each side will operate with 2.7 to
5.5 V logic levels.  He also uses a bidirectional Si8602 isolator for pairs of
bidirectional I/O (like I2C).  And these chips are far faster than anything the
R-Pi can produce.  This will keep any back EMF or other spikes generated by the
I/O from working its way back through to the R-Pi I/O pins, and offer the
ability to drive regular signals while not hurting the R-Pi.  Note that the
outputs should have similar specs to those in an AVR chip (Arduino), depending
on which digital isolator you use.  That should be enough to drive a MOSFET or
Darlington pair directly.

I just noticed that Analog Devices makes 6-channel digital isolators for around
$2.  (ADuM_764x)

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA