[TriEmbed] Fw: Question concerning a mechanical release

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 24 07:52:17 CDT 2013

Interesting question with many details missing, but I will give it a shot. Using a pinching clamp, say like a sail boat type clamp, but have a solenoid that would release the clamp on demand of your software. A pinching clamp would hold it's own weight in the since that the more weight you put on the string the harder it clamps. at least one side of the clamp rotates and this would allow you to attach a solenoid to it and rotate it away from the string thereby releasing it.

Here is an example of a cam cleat used on sailboats. You could use the idea and make one side stationary and the other rotate and connected to a solenoid.

http://www.apsltd.com/c-346-schaefercamcleatsaccessories.aspx

Good Luck!

John Vaughters