[TriEmbed] Power Supplies

brian mueller briandm03 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 16 21:37:12 CDT 2013

I definitely second that! It will definitely save you some time in the long run if there's ever a problem. Had it happen before, big waste of time!

 Subject: Re: [TriEmbed] Power Supplies
 To: "Jeff Highsmith" <jeff at jeffhighsmith.com>
 Cc: triembed at triembed.org
 Date: Wednesday, October 16, 2013, 10:28 PM

 I still have a protoboard that
 has a melted spot in it from an exciting event with an over
 powered unfused supply. I shorted + & - 12 volts across
 a 741 op amp. It split the 8 pin pdip package in half &
 sent the top half up to the ceiling from bench height,
 leaving a tiny burn mark there.

 Ah college....
 I would definetly put a fuse in there.
 Glen
 On Oct 16, 2013 8:39
 PM, "Jeff Highsmith" <jeff at jeffhighsmith.com>
 wrote:

 A supply with lower current might be smaller and perhaps
 create

 fractionally less heat. If there was a safety issue with
 having more

 current than necessary (though I can't think of one at
 3A), you could

 always put a 500 mA fuse between your supply and project.
 That would

 limit damage in the event of a short.

 Jeff :)

 On Oct 16, 2013, at 20:06, Grawburg <grawburg at myglnc.com>
 wrote:

 > I have a good 12 VDC 3A power supply.  If my project
 only requires 300 - 400 mA is there any reason

 > why I can't or shouldn't use my power supply?

 > Brian Grawburg

 > Wilson

 > --

 > The truth will set you free . . .but first it will piss
 you off.

 TriEmbed at triembed.org

 -----Inline Attachment Follows-----