[TriEmbed] Anyone done much work with home automation?

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 02:52:21 CDT 2013

Actually I had made a small business of it.  And get this -- I am an X10 (the
brand) dealer.

If I were doing it, I'd use Python.  After programming the various device
interfaces, you can build quick command-line scripts for the various actions,
and essentially build up an API of sorts.  Then you can GUI it by using TCL/TK
or going with a simple webserver.  All of which would fit on a R'Pi, Beaglebone
Black, or Cubie board.  There are some cool interfaces for graphing and alarming
environmental conditions, power usages, and controlling thermostats and lighting
with schedules and applying different type of overrides.

PS.  Don't go with Power Plug -- I would use instead ZigBee.  You can talk
modbus or bacnet over Zigbee and get to just about any device.  I have
personally developed some bacnet-to-X10 and bacnet-to-A1 and X10-to-A1 bridges
that I can help you with.

Also I have links to ZigBee Alliance's Smart Home Initiative that spells out the
various standards, protocols, and libraries (including Python) for using them.
Give me a couple of days to fish them out for you.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA