[TriEmbed] Raspberry Pi & Object Detection

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 07:29:22 CDT 2013

Sounds like you are building the basics for an HO hump yard -- at least the club
members at NRVMRRC would love to see the demonstration.  (Combine it with an
auto-decoupler and push-and-shove moves and you're almost there).  They're in
the process of building a new yard module for the club layout.  (you'll need to
detect a modulated reflected signal from a barcode on each car)

There was an article in last month's Circuit Cellar or Elektor magazine about
using an IR LED as a photosensor.  The author also compared and contrasted
phototransistors, LED's, photodiodes and photosensitive resisters as sensors.

Basically you need to bias the LED, and amplify the result through a high-gain
op amp.  Then a second-stage op amp uses a comparator to give you your detection
signal (to a straight digital input).  Alternately you can use a separate ADC
chip and read the analog samples from the first stage to detect beginning and
end of an object.

Give me a couple of days to dig up the article for you.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA