[TriEmbed] Arduinos and the TSA

Rodney Radford ncgadgetry at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 13:53:55 CST 2013

I would not recommend taking the items on the plane as luggage, but as long
as you are checking it under, you should have no problems.  I have carried
Arduinos, Raspberry Pis, other development boards, keyboards, mice, hubs,
power supplies, etc on trips and have never had a problem.

The only 'ussue' I have ever had was a bit funny and was pre-TSA.  I
carried a full set of tools on the plane, including knives, pliers,
screwdrivers, along with a robot that I had built.  Again, this was
pre-9/11 and pre-TSA and the thought of it being a problem never crossed my
mind (naive).

At the baggage Xray, they ran my bags through, stopped, backed them up and
ran them through again.  They then called over someone else to look at it
and ran it through a second time.  I tried to explain what it was, but they
did not want to hear my story. On the third run, they pulled my tools and
my robot off the conveyor belt, leaving on my 11 year old daughter's bag on
the conveyor for the 3rd run. They then pulled it off the conveyor, opened
it up, talked and finally realized what the issue was and ran just one item
from her baggage through before putting it back in the bag and waiving us
on.

So with all my tools, robot, etc - what was the ONE item that concerned
them?  A hair brush... not sure why, but it was being flagged as an issue
until they examined carefully.

So I can't promise you will have smooth sailing if something as simple as a
brush can alert security, but I can say I have flown several times since
then, post TSA, with no further problems.