[TriEmbed] Amazon to Use Drones to deliver Packages

Charles West crwest at ncsu.edu
Mon Dec 2 11:02:43 CST 2013

Hello,

There are plenty of other things you can do with the idea of automated
logistics.  I have written a few (unpublished) papers and proposals on the
subject and hope to deploy a pedestrian robot to deliver items like cookies
and sodas at NCSU campus in the next 6 months or so.  My NSF application
outlines some of the stuff:
http://charlesrwest.com/sites/default/files/researchPlan.pdf#overlay-context=node/4

Highlights:
You can potentially use robots traveling on steel cables on telephone poles
to deliver objects of up to 50 lb rapidly.  These sort of rail systems
would combo well with flying drones because the flying drones would
drastically reduce the required infrastructure cost.

In addition to transporting goods, you can also transport other robots and
supplies for them.  This allows the offering of robotic services because
the robots can get to and from the job site.  This makes something like a
leaf blowing robot possible because it can be deployed, clear an area and
then be moved on to the next job.

You can also deliver goods to someones current GPS location using a phone
app.  This will be really nice for ordering lunch or sunscreen.

Large scale automated logistics would also make it possible to do small
scale automation efficiently because you could reach a large surrounding
area at low cost.  It would likely replace cafeterias as the source for
cheap and quick food.

Likely, it will be like cell phones as one of those technologies it is hard
to imagine living without.

I'd love to talk with anyone interested in automated logistics this
evening.  Please tap me on the shoulder if you are at the meeting.

Thanks,
Charlie West