[TriEmbed] Fwd: [electronics101] Z80 discontinued (announced in April)

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 08:37:50 CDT 2024

My first computer in 1978 was a Heathkit H8 with an 8080 CPU running at 4.5
MHz.  Other than the Intel interrupt controller and the CPU all the other
chips were capable of faster speeds, so I replaced the interrupt controller
and the clock divider and dropped a Z80C when it was available in to goose
it up to 8 MHz.  When I got my Heathkit H150 (an IBM XT clone) I
immediately got an AST 8080 coprocessing board with no CPU that I also
dropped in a Z80C - so that I could run my CPM software from the H8 on the
H150 from within MS-DOS.

Around that time (1983) our microprocessors class lab was getting ready to
retire its old Intel Prompt '80s, and so for extra credit several of us
dropped in Z80Bs and did a couple of experiments with the extended
instruction set.  (Completing the lab got you an A, I don't know why
several of us were compelled to do extra credit other than we completed the
lab well before the end of the semester.)

Interestingly by that time I was already taking Commodore VIC-20
motherboards (6502 CPU) and C64 motherboards (6510 CPU) and mounting them
on rack panels, burning my own EPROMs (the UV-erase type), and using the
cartridge port to control radio station equipment and perform numerous
functions in the studio.  I found the 6500-series easier to program for
than the Z80, but the drivers for the periphery harder to figure out.

- sgh

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA
scottghall1 at gmail.com
*Although kindness is rarely a job, no matter what you do it's always an
option.*