[TriEmbed] What makes a great hobbyist robot?

Charles West charlesryanwest at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 21:00:22 CST 2024

Hello all,

I'm elbow deep in the new Mk5 chassis design for the 4 wheel outdoor
Goodbot robot and was wondering if you guys might be willing to give me
some feedback.  The "big idea" of the Mk5 chassis is modularity and
modability.  That's currently being expressed in 2 ways:
1. Most all of the sensors and compute can be popped out, fiddled with and
entirely replaced super easily.  You can also remove the big battery,
battery holder and motor control PCB just by unscrewing some things and
disconnecting some wires, making it really easy to access the motors if you
find it too cramped work with them otherwise.
2. I'm putting brass threaded inserts all over the place.  You can mount
things onto the front, back or sides just by bolting it on with some M4
bolts.  No modification required, you just bolt it on.

However, I'm a bit stuck with the cap.  There's a number of different ways
I could mount it:
1. Screws in.  Has a bunch (perhaps a grid) of threaded inserts on top so
that you mount stuff on top easily.
2. Friction fit.  Has tabs with rubber on them so that you can just pull it
on and off with a strong enough sustained tug vertically.  Easier to take
on/off but your stuff might not be as securely mounted if you put it on the
lid (sensors probably fine, a mini fridge less so).
3. Magnet mount.  Has magnets press fitted into the lid and the robot.
Least secure option, but easy removal/replacement and it's cool.

Given the way it's constructed, I could see eventually offering all of
these options (and other custom designed lids/mounting methods.  However,
what do you think would see the most use?

Also, what do you think of the "brass inserts everywhere so
modding/mounting is easy" idea?

Thanks,
Charlie