[TriEmbed] P.O.T.M. preliminary report

The MacDougals paulmacdnc at att.net
Wed Feb 14 14:53:36 CST 2024

The Problem Of The Month this month was how to lower the volume on a childs
toy.

The speaker is driven from two pins of the processor.  The DC resistance of
the speaker is 9.3 Ohms.

Several suggestions were made on how to reduce the volume.  I will report
here on the first few things I tried.

I downloaded an app on my iPhone to measure loudness.

The app was very specific in stating that the values measured were
approximate.

LAeq

Max

LCPeak

TWA

unmodified

85.90

91.20

102.40

52.00

22 ohm in series

80.00

86.60

96.60

46.20

47 ohm in series

74.00

80.70

90.80

xxx

47 uf in series

87.70

93.50

104.20

55.30

1 uf in series

76.30

83.10

95.40

xxx

To my untrained ear, I found the 1 uf to be a good result.  I did not notice
a change in the tonal qualities, but I am untrained and old (so I don't hear
high frequencies).

---> Paul