[TriEmbed] All Electronics is going out of business!

Pete soper pete at soper.us
Wed Jul 19 12:38:14 CDT 2023

When I lived in the Boston area in the mid 70s I frequently visited Poly
Paks <https://www.flickr.com/photos/oskay/4455981283>, an easy drive
from where I lived. If you follow the link check out the lower right
corner: their terms were even more amazing than their prices. Best
selection of factory floor sweepings in the east at the time. They're
long gone but I'm still nostalgic about them and All Electronics was
certainly an outfit in the same vein. I loved the stuff from All.

Now most folks have very easy access to cheap stuff as well as parts
with provenance online. With my little biz I was careful to keep the
floor sweepings strictly segregated from the parts I could trust. But I
cannot recall more than one or two episodes of untraceable parts failing
in the past several years. The same could not be said for the Poly Paks
parts. Many of them were very obviously seconds and testing them before
soldering if possible was important. For instance noticing your linear
regulator is smoking hot while trying to power a single 7400 logic chip.
Sometimes the part of the package just above the IC would go funny and
you could actually see the magic smoke come out. :-)

Pete