[TriEmbed] Lowest learning curve to design a board?

jonathan hunsberger 1101010 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 19:03:46 CST 2023

Ah, I used the wrong word maybe. It was a board with holes, but laid out
like a breadboard (like your 2nd set of examples but colored like a
breadboard too), and the pieces were soldered into it. However that format
constrained the layout too much. The true perfboard you pictured first
would work better and I think I will buy some of that to have on hand for
hands-on thinking about arrangements.

My friend sent me that Elektor article, although I think I could only see
the intro since I don't subscribe. I have seen several other similar
projects over the years, including one very similar on hackaday.io. I
haven't seen one that used a SLIC board to avoid modding the phone but I'm
sure someone has - I'm not claiming to have invented something new here.
Just made one for myself and then had several other people want one.

Contrary to what I initially said, I *am* interested in learning about
board design. I just didn't want to spend a lot of upfront time learning
theory or KiCAD before I could start working on the thing I care about.
Learning along the way is more my speed.

I appreciate all the info everyone has provided!