[TriEmbed] SiFive/Intel (AMERICAN) partnership news, vagely Intel shaggy dog and random rambling

Peter Soper pete at soper.us
Sat Oct 8 05:54:50 CDT 2022

Intel, SiFive Demo High-Performance RISC-V on Intel 4 - https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/7277/intel-sifive-demo-high-performance-risc-v-horse-creek-dev-platform-on-intel-4-process/

Discussion on Hacker News: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=33129355

On top of all the other promise apparent with this work Intel and SiFive are making the world's first chips with intention: "The chip intends to also demonstrate the interoperability of 3rd-party controllers and IPs along with Intel’s own hard IP PHYs." :-)

Do not be fooled by the 2.2 gig speed. These chips may have smoking high performance with very low power. And maybe chiplets will get on their roadmap?

Around 1982 Intel screwed me and my workmates by telling us a lie about their delivery of 80186 chips to our RTP startup Network Products, Inc. We had to redesign/reimplement our next gen multiprocessor product line with Moto 68k chips: a painful change for hardware dev but a soul-smashing grind for software. Even with structured programming macros the assembly language was a total pain, but we realized that the multiple processors meant we could cut over to C and by virtue of that the product made it out the door following acquisition by Penril (after I left). Another pain for me was the other half of our software dev group, Steve Schleimer being fired without me being consulted. I had to hire three people to replace him and the third guy, Eric Hamilton was so seriously good I had the space to get out of there and on to the next startup, Encore Computer Corporation. Encore eventually fractured into three parts: one bought by Sun, a bunch of folks who went to Citrix and a caretaker company for existing contracts IIRC.

I hope Intel's RISC-V partnerships kick butt and take names, most especially the American ones.

It's just plain weird that the RP Foundation would turn off the oxygen to their hobby market. That may make an interesting story some day.

In the meantime I wonder how soon we can buy a Horse Creek board?

Pete