[TriEmbed] Interesting tool for digital logic design

Rodney Radford ncgadgetry at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 13:00:24 CDT 2022

This tool hneemann/Digital: A digital logic designer and circuit simulator.
(github.com) <https://github.com/hneemann/Digital> has been discussed on
one of the mail lists I am on. I have not used it personally, but it looks
very helpful.

You draw a schematic using typical digital components (most 74xx parts,
parameterized parts like shift registers, counters, and even allows you to
simulate custom digital components by writing the code in Java for that
part.

You can also enter the states for a finite state machine (FSM) and it will
generate the logic to implement that FSM.

You can export the schematic as a JEDEC file that can be used to program a
GAL device to implement the logic in hardware.

They are using it on one of the s100 groups I am on to simulate a complete
Z80 system (including the processor by importing the Verilog code from
OpenCores of the z80) and verify the circuit works.

If you have ever tried it, or try it now, please let us know. It is on my
list of fun things to try, but a little low on the list at the moment due
to other priorities.