[TriEmbed] TFT'S from Hamfest

Carl Nobile carl.nobile at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 14:45:35 CDT 2022

Just a heads up. I'm working on some Python libs that support the ILI9225
and ILI9341 chips, maybe more TBD.
The libs will work on the Raspberry Pi and most likely any MPU that
supports MicroPython or CircuitPython.
I'm currently working on the ILI9225 chip, it'll be about four or five
months (my best guess for now) before I start working on the ILI9341 chip.
I know this is not what you guys want right now, but I figured I'd put this
out there.
You can keep track of my progress on my GitHub account. The ILI9225 chip
currently works on the RPi, but is still being tested.
https://github.com/cnobile2012/python-thunderborg

~Carl

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 3:34 PM Trampas Stern via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> I think that pretty much sums up Arduino and Arduino libraries in general!
>
> Arduino is great to get something working quickly but Arduino libraries in
> my experience are full of bugs, err 'features'.  Hence If you want to
> create something stable it is best to use arduino code and libraries as
> educational examples.
>
> If there is an interest in this LCD I will order one and make up a sample
> project and tutorial.  I even have some spare Cortex M0+ boards (ATSAMD21)
> I can provide to those interested, so everyone is using the same processor.
>
> Trampas
>

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 3:05 PM Pete Soper <pete at soper.us> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, the Adafruit library doesn't  play well with this display.
>> Their ILI9341 driver (and/or how their GFX library works with it) has
>> changed over the years and in some subtle  and this has caused it to stop
>> being compatible. So the first URL is useful but the second is problematic.
>>
>> -Pete
>> On 4/18/22 14:58, Trampas Stern wrote:
>>
>> I think this is the Seeed one:
>> https://wiki.seeedstudio.com/2.8inch_TFT_Touch_Shield_v2.0/
>>
>> It appears to use the *ILI9341 *driver chip.  The ILI9341 chip is what
>> you are talking to via the SPI interface to turn pixels on and off.
>>  Adafruit has some examples and tutorials on how to use the ILI9341, note
>> the adafruit lcd/board is different, but process should be similar:
>>
>> https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-2-8-and-3-2-color-tft-touchscreen-breakout-v2/spi-wiring-and-test
>>
>> Here is the ILI9341 datasheet:
>> https://cdn-shop.adafruit.com/datasheets/ILI9341.pdf
>>
>> I have used the ILI9341 (as well as several other LCD controllers)  on
>> past projects, so if anyone needs some help I will be happy to help.   If
>> there is enough interest I would not mind setting up an online(zoom)
>> tutorial session.
>>
>> In general if anyone needs help solving hardware or firmware problems,
>> please let me know and I will do my best to help.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Trampas
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 2:15 PM John Wettroth via TriEmbed <
>> triembed at triembed.org> wrote:
>>
>>> It was the Wiki and was V2.0- brain fart on something else I was doing.
>>>

>>> https://wiki.seeedstudio.com/2.8inch_TFT_Touch_Shield_v2.0/
>>>

>>> All worked well for me even with the very latest Arduino iDE (.19)
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> John M. Wettroth
>>>
>>> E: jwet at mindspring.com
>>> M: (919) 349-9875

Carl J. Nobile (Software Engineer/API Design)
carl.nobile at gmail.com