[TriEmbed] ?==?utf-8?q? MIT Scratch on an ESP32?

Jon Wolfe jonjwolfe at anibit.com
Sat Nov 27 14:23:59 CST 2021

Its written in Squeak, which is a derivative language of SmallTalk.

What are the goals, to "Run" something developed in Scratch? Does it have to be Scratch specifically, or any similar visual programming system? Does it need to be able to run standalone?

The "Scractch For Arduino" project used a modified version of scratch with an Arduino as a "peripheral" that could be treated like a sensor or actuator from Scratch programs, but everything still ran on the PC in Scratch.

If you want something that is "Scratch-like" but that can generate code that can run standalone on the embedded side, checkout Blockly, or one of the projects based on that. There is a "Blockly rduino" project that takes blockly programs and generates source. I wrote a tool several years ago that uses a [very old] version of blockly and generates Adruino Code targeting Pololu's 3Pi Robot, which is based on an Arduino Leonardo. https://anibit.com/webtools/3pi/

Blockly is web/javascript based, but you can run it offline using one of the many ways to host offline content, I made a Windows Desktop version of my tool that can directly program an attached arduino, using an embedded instance of Firefox and corrdination between the Javscript and the native decktop code to handle comms with the Arduino software.