[TriEmbed] Substitute transistor

The MacDougals paulmacd at acm.org
Fri Nov 26 20:11:22 CST 2021

My microwave display suddenly went very dim.  I opened it up and found a discolored

spot on a circuit board feeding the display (see attached image).  That component is

marked B1238, so I assume it is a 2SB1238, which is obsolete.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/base-product/rohm-semiconductor/846/2SB1238/30307

Medium power transistor( 80V, 0.7A) 2SB1189 / 2SB1238 Features 1) High breakdown voltage, BVCEO= 80V, and high current, IC= 0.7A.

2) Complements the 2SD1767 / 2SD1859. Absolute maximum ratings (Ta=25C) Parameter Symbol Limits Collector-base voltage VCBO −80 Collector-emitter voltage VCEO −80 Emitter-base voltage VEB O −5 Collector current IC −0.7 C.

Anyone want to help me find a replacement?

I dug through my Dad’s stash of old electronics and found a TIP30B, which looks like it might work.

---> Paul