[TriEmbed] Single Cell LiPO Battery Health

Shane Trent shanedtrent at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 11:11:14 CST 2021

Chip,

That is great information from Rick, (I would love to hear more
sometime Rick, maybe over a beverage when things settle down). I think you
can get a reasonable estimate for the health of your battery packs using
some inexpensive tools.

It has been my experience that the best way to estimate a battery's
capacity (and extrapolate to expected operating life) is to measure its
power delivered under actual use conditions by using an amp-hour meter
while loading the battery with your actual load (or slightly higher load to
give you a little operating margin) and allowing the system to operate
until the battery drops below your desired cutoff voltage under load.  This
is often a challenge. The post linked below touches on a Xantrex Link 10
battery monitor that I used in a system to allow me to periodically (every
6 months or so) measure the amp-hour capacity (I think Watt-hour is a
better measure because it automatically accounts for differences in battery
terminal voltages but amp-hour is still often used) of a lead-acid battery
bank in a mobile system.
https://fettricks.blogspot.com/2012/12/gel-vs-agm-deep-cycle-durability.html

The next best thing to measuring energy capacity under load, and usually
easier, is to allow your system to operate until it fails due to a low
battery charge and then measure the amount of energy required to fully
recharge the battery. I used this approach to sort through battery packs
for LEGO EV3 and NXT based robots in FIRST LEGO League to identify packs
that have high capacity for competitive use and determine when packs need
to be recycled and replaced.

With the robots, I would set the robot up to operate under peak load
(driving back and forth or in circles while operating the actuators) until
the robot shut down due to a low battery. Then I would use a USB power
meter to measure power delivered to a USB based battery charger while the
battery recharged. Once the battery was charged, it was easy to look at the
mAh (or Wh) to see how much energy was delivered and write this on the
battery pack. Note this is not the actual capacity of the battery but
should correlate with energy capacity in most cases. One of the Exceptions
is when a battery pack is failing with high internal current leakage so
that it never finishes charging but the energy delivered keeps ticking up
on the power monitor.

The USB power monitor and USB based charger also allowed students to
measure the charging current during robot testing to get an idea of the
battery's state of charge (the batteries had a nice charge current profile
so the charging current was roughly inversely proportional to the charge
level, so once the charge current crossed an amp or so, they knew the
battery needed to be swapped for a fully charged one). This setup also let
the students charge the robot from a USB power bank between runs at an
event while they carried around the robot.

You might consider either writing firmware to repeatedly cycle through your
highest power functions, or just load the cell at the recommended
maximum continuous current for your battery cell to speed testing, and let
the system operate until it either reaches your desired minimum terminal
voltage or shuts down. Then charge the battery back up and mark the energy
delivered for a full charge on the battery.

USB Power Meter (I have units on hand if you want to get your hands on one
quickly)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D9Y6ZFW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB Battery Charger for single cell (I expect you already have suitable
versions, I should have one or two somewhere if needed)
https://smile.amazon.com/Adafruit-4410-Micro-Charger-LiPoly/dp/B08168GWVJ/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=single+cell+lipo+charger+USB&qid=1615045136&sr=8-7

USB to 12V converter that I ended up using to generate the voltage needed
to charge the robot batteries.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ID90K4A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And a story of my adventure custom building my own USB to voltage DC
converter before I thought to search for such a creature on the internet.
https://fettricks.blogspot.com/2017/02/building-usb-charger-cable-for-your-fll.html

Good luck with your project!

Shane

[image: photo]
*Shane D Trent*
Patent Agent

919-348-0061 | shanedtrent at gmail.com

ShaneTrent.com | Skype: skype:shane.trent1
<#SignatureSanitizer_SafeHtmlFilter_>
Raleigh, North Carolina
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/shanetrent> <http://twitter.com/sdtrent>
Create your own email signature