[TriEmbed] GitHub heads up: password logins go away August 13th

Robert Mackie rob at mackies.org
Fri Jan 29 18:09:01 CST 2021

Carl,

Thanks for responding. Somehow I missed your response.

Very helpful to see that site. Pretty much, what I thought the process
would be from the repos I've set up in the past. Nothing very challenging.
In fact, not much different from setting up a new repo on github with
nothing in it and then pushing the first code to it. (makes sense that it
wouldn't be very much different since it's all git.

All the same *thank you so very much.* It is good to know I'd be on the
right track. It's been a while since I've had to set one up.

With respect to the question of separate repos, that's pretty easy for us.
Because many of our students have already used the ev3hub, where the best
practice is to clone it, do some work, push it, delete the directory and
all artifacts.  So with our java and c code, we have them establish a
branch (easy in a IDE) and then do their work on the "working branch". So
they can easily "clone, do some work, commit/push/delete" and then do some
more work later. So generally local repos are seen as transitory in our
"house". No problem since they are small.  The challenge comes later and is
often mentored, which is combining working branches. But by then, the
participant has succeeded at something, so they are ready to meet some
obstacles.

Rob.