[TriEmbed] new $4 Raspberry Pi

Rodney Radford ncgadgetry at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 08:26:31 CST 2021

Scroll down to the section titled "THE PIO: NEVER BITBANG AGAIN" in the
hackaday article Raspberry Pi Enters Microcontroller Game With $4 Pico |
Hackaday
<https://hackaday.com/2021/01/20/raspberry-pi-enters-microcontroller-game-with-4-pico/>
as
it does a great job of an overview.

Basically each PIO is a small state machine with it's own register, GPIO
mapping, IRQ and DMA for building timing specific I/O code. Examples given
were another uart, or a uart with specific coding, the ws2811 protocol,
etc. While each of these can be done on the eps8266/esp32, the nice thing
is it is done by specialized hardware in the background so does not take up
any MPU cycles. Think of it as a simple cpld/fpga state machine built in to
the same chip.