[TriEmbed] Raspberry Pi perspectives

Rodney Radford ncgadgetry at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 10:23:13 CST 2021

Personally I think the closed GPU on the Raspberry Pi gets a bad rap. Yes,
the GPU is closed source (nothing the Raspberry Pi guys can do about that
as it is not their choice),.

It is true that it is responsible for mounting the SD card and starting up
Linux, but the way I look at is that it takes the place of the BIOS and
bootloader on a standard PC system. Like the BIOS, it opens up the boot
device (SD card), loads the bootloader. The main difference is the
bootloader is also part of the GPU code so it does make it more difficult
porting other systems to it, but not impossible.

After that, the code runs on the Linux side of things with it being in
control with the GPU handling graphics, as expected, and monitoring
voltages and temperatures, with the ability to directly write to the
display for battery and heat issues.

You can modify the Linux code and you can create custom device drivers for
it, so I don't see it as a closed system any more than a PC is running
Linux with a 'closed' BIOS.