[TriEmbed] Amscope Re: H264, wmv or avi for microscope video?

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Wed Jan 6 15:11:34 CST 2021

Well, this was made partially moot by H264 giving the appearance of
being supported but, when configured, the "record button" was not
enabled (i.e. no joy forthcoming). The clue to that became apparent when
I realized the config didn't prompt for a title and other info. Switched
to .wmv, set everything up again, recorded a test video, then when ready
to do the real deal the Amscope code "core dumped". Looking for an
update now. I spotted something in Handbrake docs suggesting .avi has
lost some cool and that's why I picked .wmv.

This Amscope code is as old as my microscope (guestimate five years). I
hope I can find the microscope serial number. This is with an MU-300
camera . If anybody knows of OSS that handles this camera I'd be very
interested. I thrashed the bushes hard long ago and found nothing.

I'm attempting to record the soldering of a wiring harness that's for
one of the few projects I'm doing these days not involving an NDA or
client interests I want to protect. This started out as seeming to be
easy peasy, as I expected to find an easy way to do it. But there was
none and the work was underbid before I realized larger LEDs would work
perfectly well (1206 instead of 0603). With the larger LEDs the
soldering is straight forward, but some techniques I'm using to save
time and hassle might be of interest. If this works I'll push it to
YouTube. I have no clue how to add a sound track, but if it did have
sound it would be something like Neil Young's "Hey Hey, My My" followed
by Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World".